Senior Health Insurance Counseling for Kansas (SHICK)
What is SHICK?
SHICK offers one-on-one, non-biased counseling and assistance to individuals and families either getting ready to sign up for Medicare, or those who already have Medicare. Volunteer counselors receive training on Medicare, Medicare Supplemental Insurance, Long-Term Care Insurance, and other health insurance issues that concern Kansans. SHICK counselors are not affiliated with the insurance industry. If you are new to Medicare or have questions about Medicare or Medicare related issues, SHICK counselors are available Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. for one-on-one appointments.
Medicare Options Classes
Medicare Options Classes are held several times during the year (between the months of January through June). Options classes provide basic information on Original Medicare, Medicare Advantage Plans, Medigap or Supplemental Insurance Plans and Medicare Prescription Drug coverage.
Medicare Open Enrollment
Medicare Open Enrollment is from October 15-December 7. During this time period you can:
- Change from Original Medicare to a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Change from a Medicare Advantage Plan back to Original Medicare.
- Switch from one Medicare Advantage Plan to another Medicare Advantage Plan.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn't offer drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage.
- Switch from a Medicare Advantage Plan that offers drug coverage to a Medicare Advantage Plan that doesn't offer drug coverage.
- Join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan.
- Switch from one Medicare drug plan to another Medicare drug plan.
- Drop your Medicare prescription drug coverage completely.
Click link below to see...
Kansas Insurance Department
Information about Medicare Supplemental (Medigap Policies)
- Counselors who can answer Medicare Supplement questions
- Information on company complaint ratios or history in Kansas
- Current pricing for Medicare Supplemental Insurance in Kansas
- Request a copy of the most current Medicare Supplemental Shopper’s Guide
Addresses: 3216 N. Cypress; Rock Road; and 32nd St. N.
- Sign up for Medicare A and B
- Information on Social Security retirement benefits
- Apply for Extra Help paying for Medicare Part D
KanCare Clearinghouse(Medical Eligibility for the Elderly & Disabled)
P.O. Box 3599, Topeka, KS 66601-9738
Phone: 1-800-792-4884 Fax: 1-844-264-6285 TDD/TTY: 1 800-792-4292
- Apply for the Medicare Savings Program
- Apply for KanCare
KanCare Ombudsman (Help with filling out KanCare applications): 316-978-3566
Other Helpful Websites:
SedgwickCountyExtension:www.sedgwick.ksu.edu (Educational information, upcoming classes.)
Medicare:www.medicare.gov (Official government Medicare website.)
Do You Need Help Paying for Your Medications?
You may qualify for Extra Help if you have:
- Income less than 150% of the federal poverty level.
- Limited resources, such as bank accounts, stocks, bonds, IRA's.
If you qualify for Extra Help:
- Medicare will pay 75% or more of your prescription drug costs.
- You will automatically recieve help paying for:
- Co-pays on your medications
- No coverage gap
To apply for Extra Help visit: Social Security Administration
2022 Extra Help Income and Asset Guidelines
Income limit Guidelines: Includes Social Security, veterans pensions, work income, and retirement pension.
Asset limit Guidelines: Includes checking, savings, retirement accounts, IRA’s, and CD’s.
With burial exclusion: $15,510
With burial exclusion: $30,950
Without burial exclusion: $14,010
Without burial exclusion: $27,950
* The amounts listed above include a standard $20 income discard.
Medicare Savings Program
If you qualify, the Medicare Saving Program can help you pay for your Medicare premiums and possibly your Medicare coinsurance, copayments and deductibles. Contact our office for more information.
2022 MSP Income and Asset Guidelines
Medicare Savings Program
Individual monthly income limit
Married monthly income limit
MSP Pays For:
Qualified Medicare Beneficiary-QMB
Part A, Part B Premiums, co-payments, deductibles, and co-insurance
Low Income Medicare Beneficiary-LMB
Part B Premium
Expanded Low Income Medicare Beneficiary-ELMB
Part B Premium
* The amounts listed above include a standard $20 income disregard.
MSP Asset Guidelines
Individual asset limits
Married asset limits
Assets include: checking, savings, retirement accounts, IRA’s and CD’s.
With burial exclusion: $9,900
With burial exclusion: $15,600
Without burial exclusion: $8,400
Without burial exclusion: $12,600
To apply visit: KanCare
For more information or to recieve a paper application, please contact our office.