SEDGWICK COUNTY EXTENSION TO HOST POPULAR DESIGN AND GROW GARDENING WORKSHOPS VIRTUALLY IN 2021
Thursday, Feb. 11, 2021
WICHITA - Interest in gardening has spiked over the past year due to the pandemic, leading to seeds and plants selling out across the country. The increase in new gardeners has emphasized the need for high quality local gardening education to help increase productivity and beauty of the new plantings. This year’s Design & Grow Gardening workshops will help both new and experienced gardeners learn new skills and gain inspiration for the coming season.
The workshops will be held virtually over two half-days in March. The first part of the workshop, emphasizing “Food for All”, will be held on Saturday, March 6, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. This workshop will focus on guiding gardeners with tips on growing food for humans and wildlife. Topics include:
- Easy Grow Vegetable Garden – Tips for vegetable gardening made easy with no-till methods!
- Seed Starting – Advice and tips for starting seeds indoors.
- Landscaping for Wildlife: Take a Walk on the Wild Side – How to create a bird and wildlife-friendly yard.
The second workshop, titled “Beauty for All”, is scheduled for Saturday, March 27, also from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. “Beauty for All” will focus on tips and information for enhancing the beauty of your landscape. Topics for this workshop include:
- Maximizing Annual Flower Beauty – Find out about the newest annual flower varieties available, and how to grow them successfully.
- Color Year ‘Round with Perennials – Enjoy a colorful landscape throughout the year by learning how to create a color succession for your garden.
- Edible Landscaping – Great ideas for plants and planting schemes that will give you both a beautiful and fruitful landscape.
Each half day costs $5 and requires separate pre-registration to attend. Register online at: