Local Food Producers Conference offers knowledge and networking for area growers
Monday, Jan. 9, 2023
WICHITA – All specialty crop growers, from the urban homesteader to the commercial producer, will find topics to educate and inspire at the Local Food Producers Conference, scheduled for Saturday, February 4th, 8:45am to 4:00pm, at the K-State Research and Extension office in Wichita. Whether you are just getting started with growing fruits and vegetables or experienced in growing and selling, we invite you to join us! From opportunities for learning from experienced growers to making new connections in our food system, there will be something for everyone.
The conference will feature two keynote speakers. The morning speaker, Tom Ruggieri of Fair Share Farm, will discuss What is Value? as he shares the addition of value-added products to their farm business. Tom will talk about the many values added to agricultural products that can be inherent, but invisible to the consumer. From soil building and sequestering carbon, to creating biodiversity, to improving water and air quality in the farm’s community, these values are especially important in helping to create a truly sustainable food system. The afternoon speaker, Dr. Megan Kennelly, K-State professor of Plant Pathology, will walk through the steps involved in Plant Health Problem Solving to help all fruit and vegetable growers have better success in managing plant problems and diseases.
In addition, a variety of breakout sessions are being offered, including:
- Re-envisioning food systems and community partnerships with Common Ground Mobile Market (Donna Pearson McClish)
- Getting Started with High Tunnels & Season Extension Structures (Dr. Cary Rivard)
- Soil health in high tunnels (Dr. Cary Rivard)
- Fruit tree variety & rootstock selection (Gabe Spurgeon)
- 20 Years of Change at Fair Share Farm (Tom Ruggieri)
- Strawberry production and profits: testing a combination production system (Jonathan Conard)
- ICT Local Food Partnerships & Connections Networking and Resource Session
- Growing Culinary Mushrooms (Pam Paulsen)
Registration includes lunch and is $20 through Friday, January 27, 2023. After that date, registration will be $25.00 per person. Registration closes on Thursday, February 2, 2023.
Click here to register online or call 316-660-0100 to register by phone.