Cooking Healthy Food Safely
Cooking is fun and practical. It allows you to make healthy food choices and feed your family for less money than you would spend eating in a restaurant. Our programs feature easy recipes and techniques. The cornerstone of all our programs is My Plate, which is the USDA recommended Dietary Guidelines for all Americans. Along with My Plate, the Fight BAC Program teaches safe food storage, handling and cooking temperatures for preparing meals in a safe manner. Remember, you don't need a fancy kitchen to prepare good food. Here are a couple of tips to use:
- Clear and clean a counter top or table to prepare food on.
- Make sure you have enough light to read recipes and see over the cooking area.
- Stock a cabinet or pantry with a few cooking staples, such as flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cooking oil, salt, pepper and other spices as needed.
Programs we offer:
Try Day Friday Recipes and Videos
Preserving the Harvest – Food Preservation workshop which provides a full day of lecture and hands-on experiences in how to pressure can, water-bath, dehydrate and freeze seasonal produce safely. The fee is $30 and is held during the summer months.
Cook Once, Eat for a Month – Gather a group of 10 people from work or your neighborhood and make freezer meals for your families. This popular method of food preparation helps to save you time, money and stress. Classes are limited to 10 individuals and cost is $90 per participant. You will go home with 10 freezer-ready meals that feed at least 4-6 people. Classes are 3 hours long, all food prep and shopping is done for you.
Rite Bite Cooking School for Diabetes - teaches meal planning and food preparation skills that will reduce calories, control carbohydrates, modify fat, salt and increase fiber so those affected by diabetes can achieve better blood glucose and blood pressure control.
Eat Healthy, Be Active – Perfect for work sites or community groups. Pick and choose from the workshops below. Classes are 45 minutes long.
- Enjoy Healthy Food that tastes Great
- Quick, Healthy Meals and Snacks
- Eating on a Budget
- Tips for losing weight and keeping it off.
- Making healthy Eating Part of Your Total Lifestyle
- Physical Activity is Key to Living Well.
Programs provided for:
- Corporate Wellness Programs
- Community Groups